Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Burma- they call it Myanmar


Words cannot describe my feelings for Myanmar. I went there not knowing anything about the country or what to expect except for what I saw from a small documentary. The poverty was like nothing I had ever seen. Shacks everywhere build from whatever the people could find. Surrounding them were piles of trash, but there was joy everywhere. The Burmese people are the happiest people I have ever encountered in my life hands down. They were shy when they saw us but at soon as I said hello in their language “minglaba” their faces would like up and they would greet me with so much enthusiasm. Their smiles were just as big as mine and we would all take pictures of one another. In Myanmar the women wear bark paste on their faces to lighten their skin and keep them cool during the day. A few locals gave some to me to put on my face and they would all giggle when I had it on. I kept the paste on for the rest of the day and the locals loved it and would laugh and point at my cheeks.
During my stay in Myanmar I got the chance to sit and have dinner with some of the United Nations representatives, I was able to ride elephants, and I stayed at a beach. I picked a great trip for Burma because we stayed at the beach village for a few days and I was really able to get to know some of the locals. I was able to go and sit in their homes, which were tiny open shacks. I got to play with little children when they got out of school. I got to dance around a bonfire with kids our age, as we were all trying to understand each other and sing songs we knew, and lots of other activities. Myanmar people were so friendly and laid back, it was nice to come into a country and finally not feel bombarded with people trying to sell me things.
An interesting thing about Burma was the neighborhoods (if you can even call them that). There would be small run down shacks made of random scraps or nature than in the middle of it all there would be a gold pagoda. Every community had one even if it was a small one. Also the wealth distribution was very visible. On one side of the road there would be massive houses and on the other side there would be people living in ragged clothes in a hut. Walking through the city we had to be careful because out of nowhere there would be a massive hole in the cement that went a long way down. The sidewalk slabs would be wobbling and barely being held up so we had to be extra careful where we stepped so we would not fall down the never ending pit of doom.
Burma is by far my favorite place so far hands down. I have loved the other countries the love for them does not compare to the love I now have for Myanmar. It is a place where I want to go back as soon as I get the opportunity. It would now be the first country I would recommend to anyone who asked. It will be interesting to see what will become of Burma in a few years relating to chain stores and restaurants, but I sure hope that it will never change the attitude of the people. Their smiles will brighten up anyone’s day. 

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the fiim: "They Call It Myanmar"?

    ReplyDelete