Sunday, March 17, 2013

Singapore Sling


We only had two days and one night in Singapore and I had a mission, go the Raffles hotel and buy a Singapore sling. Well, Mission accomplished and with a great story.
            My first day in Singapore consisted of a field lab for my water for the world class and we toured two water facilities around the city. That night a few friends and I went to little India to explore. We decided to eat dinner there so I asked what the least spicy thing on the menu was and ordered it. When I got my food it ended up being soooo spicy! The waiters were laughing at me because they thought my meal had no spice at all. It was delicious, but I was sweating the entire time. I guess it was good preparation for the real India. We later took the subway back into town and my and my friend Olivia went off to look for the hotel. After a while of walking we finally made it! But it was closing……. We told them it was our only night in town and we were dying to try their famous drink but they did not care. So we asked if we could at least take pictures and they welcomed us in. One of the bartenders from around the corner came over to us and said “two Singapore slings, no problem, sit down” It was the most exciting news and we thanked him about a hundred times. We ended up making friends with all the workers in the bar and having a great time laughing and telling funny stories. The bartender ended up re-filling our drinks when we were half way done with campaign because he said it would make the drink taste better. When we left we were the last customers in the place and had a bunch of wonderful new friends. It was the most expensive drink I have ever had at a whooping $31.00! It was well worth the experience though. I think the most interesting part of the bar was that when they gave you peanuts you were suppose to toss the shell right on the floor! Shells were everywhere!
            Our last day in Singapore a friend and I were able to sneak up to the rooftop of the Marina bay sands hotel free of charge. This is another famous hotel that’s roof was full of activities like an infinity pool over looking the city, a restaurant, a bar, and a nightclub. We went up for the view and it was amazing! We then walked around a park for the reminder of the time and it was a beautiful place with all types of blooming flowers.
            Singapore was fun but it did not feel like I was in a far away place since everyone spoke English and it was a giant city. The architecture of some of the buildings was awesome though. I am very glad I was able to see the country.  

No comments:

Post a Comment