Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Vietnam


This far in the trip Vietnam has been my favorite port. The amount of people was insane especially since we were there during tet (Vietnamese New Year). There driving system was like nothing I had ever seen before. There weren’t streetlights, and when there were they were almost never followed. Crossing the streets was an experience of it’s own. You cannot doubt yourself, if you decide to start walking do not stop! It is scary the first time but after a while I started to trust the motorcyclist that they wouldn’t hit me. They were pretty good at avoiding people in the streets but that first step out in the middle of a packed road is always a little sketchy. It is almost like it is rush hour every hour of the day.  We went to the Cu Chi tunnels and learned a little about the Vietnam War and the underground tunnels they built. I was able to walk through parts and the humorous part was that they had to widen the tunnels to that Tourist could fit inside. They made the tunnels extra small during the war so that American soldiers could not fit inside because they said we had big bellies. My time in Vietnam was very sweaty. It was hot, hot, hot until we got to Delat- a little mountain town north of Saigon. We took a night bus there that had bunk beds. I had a top bunk and it was fun but scary around curves when I though I would roll off. It was interesting because the bed seats were pretty small since the Vietnamese are short. I was lucky because I fit in perfectly, but my friends were not as fortunate because they were over 5”7. In Delat we ended up scoring an awesome deal. Me and three other friends got a private tour all over the country. We had a personal driver and a tour guide. During the day we played soccer with little kids that couldn’t understand us, drank weasel poo coffee, ate a spoon full of crickets, hiked down the side of a waterfall, drank their favorite drink called happy water (the strongest liquor ever), saw a giant happy Buddha, walked through a coffee farm of a very poor family, and rode an elephant. It was an awesome day and unbelievably cheap. Vietnam was incredible and it is a place a definitely wish to return to. It is a very dirty place, trash ever where, and rats all over, but it is still an awesome place. The people are so friendly and the food is so amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment