Friday, January 11, 2013

Day 2 and 3


I get up at 6:20 every morning to meditate with a group of people lead by an Indian man. After meditation breakfast opens up and our group is the first one in line. The second day at sea was orientation which took forever and they told us about ten ways how we could get kicked off. The swells are getting pretty big and it is hilarious watching everyone walk around. We haven't gotten our sea legs yet, we all walk in zigzags and I have gotten to know the walls pretty well on a few occasions. That night we had what was called involvement symposium where we were able to check out all the clubs and activities that will be on the ship. Yes mom I did sign up for my extended family. The second night there was a little storm and all the drawers were opening and slamming closed and all our belongings were flying across the room.

Day 3 January 11th classes started! My first class was Consumer Behavior and I finally met some people from North Carolina! It was so fun meeting my professor as he was swaying back and forth trying to keep his balance and steer clear of the door that had a mind of its own.  I have an 8am and a 2:15 or 14:15 (we use military time on the ship) so I have a large gap on my “A day” classes. In this time I ate, sat outside, met new people, wondered the ship, and tried not to fall down. The second class was Water for the world, which is my largest class. I know that it is the biggest because it is a lens class (a special name for a limited amount of classes that each student had to choose).  We meet in the front of the ship in the student union, which is the most rocky- it really puts your sea tolerance to the test. The captain said we are experiencing 12-18 ft. swells, and although it is very rocky and hard to stand it does not seem like they are that large, so don’t worry I feel very safe! Overall I think the two classes I have had thus far are going to be great! I am excited to meet my next two professors tomorrow.

            E-mail me is you haven’t already done so or I will not be able to contact you!    erica.delaney.sp13@semesteratsea.org.   Sorry for the lack of photos, the whole uploading thing doesn’t work so well and it also takes up some of my precious Internet time. (They surprised us with 2 FREE hours of internet time.)

This is goodbye for now from the middle of the deep blue sea. 

1 comment: