Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Day 4 and 5


Its not a boat it’s a ship, its not a not a journey it’s a voyage, its not a cruise it’s a university.

A lot has happened in these two days that it is hard to keep up with. Day 4 (Jan. 12th) I had my second two classes. Theory and practice of persuasion and intro to drawing, I swear the professors get cooler and cooler. It is amazing how I have already learned so much and we haven’t even gotten to our first port yet! I find myself sitting in on other classes and joining their activities and it is a blast. I got to do a bridge tour. For those of you who do not know what that is, it is the upper bow of the ship where all the navigation, steering, GPS, and controls happen. I got to meet and take pictures with the captain and it was really awesome!
Day 5 for me is definitely one to remember. Not necessarily the classes, but the lecture I sat in on at the end of the day. The unreasonable at sea is sailing with us on this voyage, an organization trying to solve world problems. It goes way more in depth than that and their projects are absolutely amazing. During that lecture we had Hunter Lovins speak. She has done incredible things throughout her life and she is a “hero of the year” for Time Magazine and has published 13 books. I have been meditating with this amazing woman everyday and I had no idea. I thought it would take a while for me to see a change in myself though out this voyage, but I have now realized that my mid-set is already starting to shift. It is very interesting to think about, if I already feel a little changed and it is only day five, what will I become in 100 more days.
 I think everyone tells you it is a life changing experience not because of the physical trip but because the people you meet along the way and hearing view points you have never been exposed to before. Its about the stories you hear and the information you gain. What I really enjoyed about Hunter was the fact that she is hopeful. She knows so many things about topics that can bring you into a dark hole but she finds optimism and remains hopeful of the world and what we can become as individuals working together. Listening and joining in on conversations is the biggest way to grow on this journey.  Everyone on this voyage has something very unique to offer. And every person has a story that you never would have thought. As a way of expanding my comfort zone I have been sitting at different tables every night meeting as many people as possible. This action would never be socially acceptable back at school but here it is welcome with open arms and people want you to sit with them. I am having the best time of my life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment